Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Literary Baby Shower Gift


One of my sister's and my favorite gifts to give to babies and young children is books. At baby showers, especially, people seem to receive lots of clothes and toys - both of which are important, but the first won't last long because babies grow so fast and we prefer books to toys because we're both bookworms :). Recently, I visited my sister a few days before she was to attend a baby shower for a woman at her church and we put together the shower gift together.


First we went to the store and bought some classic baby books. Goodnight Moon and The Very Hungry Caterpillar were two of our personal favorites growing up.


Then we went to Marshall's and tried to find a basket that would look cute with all the books in it. We failed. But then we were walking down the aisles and I had the brilliant idea to buy this metal "S", which happens to be the baby's last initial, and stick it on top of the books, all tied up with a bow. Ashton loved it so we bought the letter. It was only $6, totally gorgeous, and about as decor-neutral as you can get with it's lovely dark silver finish.


Ashton had some ribbon at home that we used to tie the books and letter together and I think it turned out really cute!


I talked to my sister after the shower and she said her gift was a total hit. Success!!!

4 comments:

  1. Books indeed portray a role in the child's psychological development. Nice idea you have there. The metal S is in fact as lovely as baby gift baskets. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! What i usually give is baby hamper in Singapore. I'm so ashamed of myself. Lol.

    ReplyDelete