Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"Woman"


Woman. It's a simple word, but it carries powerful connotations. What images come to your mind when you read that word?

Adult.

Responsible.

Graceful.

Mature.

Peaceful.

Those are just a few of the things my mind associates "woman" with. This is a word I struggle in applying to myself. At nearly 23-years-old, I realize that I am a woman now, whether I like it or not. I don't like to refer to myself as a "woman." Yet calling myself a "girl" seems more than a bit ridiculous; I know that I need to embrace the fact that I'm an adult now, but referring to myself and other ladies my age as "women" scares me.

I think I feel that if I am a woman, I can no longer do childish things. And that is true. It does not mean, however, that I can no longer have fun. Our society seems to connect youth with enjoyment of life, but that connection is not truth. The Bible tells us that old age is where true enjoyment lies, and it is God's plan for each individual to grow into a mature adult who is at peace with the identity God has given them.

"When I became an adult, I put away childish things." - 1 Corinthians 13:11

"The grey head is a crown of glory, if it is found in the way of righteousness." - Proverbs 16:31

When I created this blog, I really wanted to put "girl" instead of "woman" in the subtitle. But I could not. I feel that God has been trying to teach me about being a woman lately, especially what it means to be a woman outside the context of being a wife and mother (but that's a topic for another post), and it is my duty and privilege to embrace my womanhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment