Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hit the Brakes: The Value of a Walk

In these "Hit the Brakes" posts, I'll write about things that have helped me introduce small moments of rest and relaxation into my life, in hopes that it will help you do the same.

~~~
"Make your feet your friend. "
- J.M. Barrie

~~~

How often do you take the time to go for a walk? Walks can be very relaxing and they're also good exercise. One of my favorite ways to relax is by going for a walk after dinner, sometimes with family or friends and sometimes just by myself. Some of my most cherished moments each week are the ones I spend walking.

I know it can be easy to think you don't have the time for a walk, but just taking five minutes to go for a short walk at night (when you can see the stars!) or in the morning (when you can enjoy the sunrise and early morning sounds) can make a huge difference. Taking the time to make a few moments for myself really refreshes my soul and gives me renewed energy for whatever tasks I have to complete.

Even as a young child, the effectiveness of a walk in calming down one's life was demonstrated to me. Growing up, my parents would take nightly walks around the block in order to have uninterrupted conversation with each other; if there was a problem at home, we simply turned on the porch light to let them know that they needed to come in. This system worked well and gave my parents the time they needed to talk with each other and de-stress from the day.

~~~
"After a day's walk everything has twice its usual value."
- G. M. Trevelyan

No comments:

Post a Comment